Wednesday 5 May 2010

Its Gold but what?

I decided to put a couple of hours in before rushing home to watch the football, it was forecast heavy rain again but it stayed dry right up to 13.30 when I set off for home, not much came up but I enjoyed being out, it felt colder than it actually was. I got a couple of buttons, a smooth halfpenny, a couple of musket balls, again, some scrap lead, something bronze six sided and faint markings on both sides it looks like a super thick roman coin 8mm thick oh and I nearly forgot a nice coin but I can,t find it anywhere to ID it any help appreciated and its another first for me :g58:

It is now with the FLO and I am waiting for a positive identification, I have sent pictures to the British Museum and other coin experts. I have had Saxon and Roman Brooches and bits of Saxon brooches from this area of the field also recently a Saxon wrist clasp and a Saxon Silver Sceat, someone has suggested Indian I am hoping for an earlier date, but at least it is gold, I will inform you when I  get a positive ID.Unless someone recognizes it and can let me know their opinion.
I will add the bronze weight type object as well maybe someone will know?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment