Wednesday 5 May 2010

What could you find in a car scrap yard

We was running out of search areas for our Sunday outings and talking to our farmer friend Alan, he said" I have got some pasture fields behind the wood yard you are welcome to try"This was down a long winding track next to a willow covered pond, and we where able to park on the field, it was nice and private. We started detecting and  this was when we found out it was an old car scrap yard, there was chrome wheel trims and body trims coming up all over the place, I think the best find was a lead spindle whorl. So we decided it was a waste of time and effort. A year later we found ourselves back there with no where else available again, we was sat eating our sarnies when we heard voices, and two detectorists walked from behind the pond, oblivious to our presence. Our first thoughts was they where their illegally but it seemed Alan had given them permission thinking they where friends of ours. We got talking and it seemed they had found some Roman coins and brooches on here, I do not know if these have been recorded, this is the reason that I believe detectorists should have their own separate search permissions, every thing of interest that we find we report and record with the PAS.
We had a few sessions on this field this year after discovering secondhand that there was some nice bits to be found on here but I was beginning to think the new lads had found them all with their explorers. When a short time into a Sunday session I got a nice sharp signal quite close to where I parked the car, and up came from near the surface a lovely straight Saxon pin, my first complete one and the straightest I have seen, we have been back a couple of times since but nothing else as appeared yet, but I would not rule out anything coming off this strange scrap yard field.

No comments:

Post a Comment