Thursday 6 May 2010

A Silver Denarius Hoard find.

We noticed a secluded farm on the Google Earth maps close to our existing search permissions with some interesting looking crop marks. So Dazz volunteered to write to the farm for search permission, we got a reply back saying call in and see me. We drove early one Thursday morning, the farm was miles from anywhere down a long dirt track and close to another farm we have permission on where we have never found anything. I knocked on the door but there was no answer I nipped around the back and the old farmer was seeing to the cattle, he did not seem pleased to see me at first and when we got talking he said " I do not think you will find anything but your welcome to try I have had people on before but nothing was found, you can go anywhere the crops are just showing through but you will not hurt anything".
We paid a few visits we tried the seeded area,s and the big pasture field there was hundreds of twelve bore cartridge ends, I did eventually find my very first Saxon strapend from the field with crop marks.
On another visit to the farm a field we had not tried was now stubble so we gave that a try was about to give up on this field when Dazz called me over, he had tried a small strip running between a barley field and a field of sugar beet," I have found a silver Denarius" he shouted  and asked me to help him search, straight away a positive signal from my Minelab Explorer produced another Denarius, I then switched to my T2 and eventually uncovered six lovely silver Denarius all shallow finds, Dazz found three altogether so we had nine between us, for some reason all mine where in decent condition but Dazz,s where all rougher.
We went to see the farmer to explain we would be handing them in to our local FLO and he would receive 50% of what they where worth, and so they where handed in and we had a long wait for a reply.
Meantime thinking there was probably more to be found because they where all found in a small area we went back for another try but the farmers son who now owns the farm had sub-soiled the area and the ground was soft and fluffy hard to walk on and no signals forthcoming.
A year later we heard from the British Museum who had disclaimed the coins and sent them back to us, so I had them evaluated by a well known detecting magazine, and went back to see Frank the farmer he was happy with the 50% valution but wanted a coin to keep as a memento .He said to me "Dave I have had loads of detectorists on here and Archeologists when the gas pipeline went through and was always told that they had found nothing I  am pleased you have been so honest you and Dazz can come down anytime"


I paid him 50% of the value and still have the other five coins and gave him the best coin for his memento.
The Antonius Pius coin138-161 AD
The farmer kept







The Saxon strap-end.










Trajan 103-111 AD







 Another Trajan.

No comments:

Post a Comment